Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Let it Snow, Let it Snow


































Poor Enoch - it seems like all he does is travel for work and come home just in time to shovel the snow again! Just thought I'd add a couple more cute pictures of him and the kids shoveling. Because I just overcame Bronchitis and pulled my rib muscles from coughing so much, I haven't been any help. While Enoch and all the other kids were shoveling, Brighton conveniently fell asleep on the couch! So I had to add a picture of him too. Enoch spends numerous hours on his only day off shoveling, just to make sure I can get in and out of the driveway. The last storm had 70 mile/hour winds that created a snowdrift 5 feet high. You couldn't get to our front door for days!


Last week, on Feb. 13, we had a snowstorm adventure. H2 and Cassidy were on the bus on their way home from school, when a huge white-out storm hit. The bus got stuck for 1 1/2 hours, until it could finally turn around and go back to the school. I was stuck at work, and the highways were closed to the house and school, so the kids were at school until 10pm, until a neighbor -Brad - could get to the school. He piled our kids in the car with his kids, went the back roads, and got stuck at McDonald's because all of the roads were closed off to get to our neighborhood. Fortunately, H2 and Cassidy's dad just so happened to be stuck at a restaurant next door, because the roads were closed to his house too. So he picked up the kids, and eventually took them to his house, but didn't get there until 1 am. H2 and Cassidy had taken a different bus than they normally do in order to go to the Miller's house. Had they taken their normal bus, they would have been stuck for 6 1/2 hours. Those children finally got back to the school and had to spend the night. Needless to say, it was a frantic evening - trying to get to the kids & worrying about them, but a lot of miracles took place. Hunter told me he had said a prayer on the bus, and knew they would be okay. I'm grateful they had taken the other bus. I'm grateful for the community of friends and neighbors who all worked together to help get my children home. I'm grateful their dad was nearby, so he could get them to warm beds. I'm grateful that I was able to get home that night with a friend who had 4x4 so we could take the back roads into the neighborhood making it so I didn't have to sleep at work! I'm grateful that all of my other family members and friends who were traveling that night through the storm were protected from harm. It's events like this that help you realize how blessed we are, and also remind us of the need to be prepared.

No comments: